Who doesn’t love bread and butter? It is a firm favourite in our house.
Now add to the bread a bit of zing in the form of chilli flakes and cayenne pepper and wow now your talking! Perfect with Butternut Squash & Sage Soup see recipe here by Willow Arlen
I have made this bread before and replaced water with tomato passata which is delicious, and then I have also added chunks of cheese which makes it a real treat! So don’t be afraid to get creative!
The secret to making this bread crusty is to cook it in a cast iron pot with the lid on, the steam in the pot makes the crust on bread. This bread is super easy to make and seriously delicious!
You can either mix the ingredients by hand with a wooden spoon or use a mixer with dough hook, either method works just as well.
500g Strong White Bread Flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
340ml of water
half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of dried chilli flakes
- In a big bowl mix flour, salt, sugar and yeast (place yeast on opposite side of bowl to salt as you don’t want it starting to react to quick as it may result in your bread not rising – top tip!), add your cayenne pepper and chilli along with olive oil and water and mix together with wooden spoon or spatula – it will be a sticky mess.
- The mixture needs to rest for at least 2 hours so that the mixture rises – cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place.
- Pre heat oven to gas 7, 230c and place cast iron pot with lid on in the oven to pre heat
- Flour your surface and hands well then shape dough int a ball
- Pop the dough into pot (careful as it will be hot!), place lid on and cook for 30 minutes
- Remove lid and cook for further 25 minutes until golden
- Remove from oven and allow to cool